Table of Contents
Introduction to the Australia 189 Visa
Are you a skilled worker seeking to make Australia your permanent home? If so, the Australia 189 Visa, officially known as the Skilled Independent Visa (Subclass 189), might just be your golden ticket.
What is the Australia 189 Visa?
The Australia 189 Visa is a permanent residency visa intended for points-tested skilled workers who are not sponsored by an employer or family member or nominated by a state or territory government. It permits you to live and work in Australia indefinitely.
Benefits of the Australia 189 Visa
The Australia 189 Visa offers an array of benefits:
- Live, work, and study in Australia indefinitely
- Avail Medicare, Australia’s health care scheme
- Apply for Australian citizenship, if eligible
- Sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence
Eligibility Criteria for the Australia 189 Visa
To qualify for the Australia 189 Visa, candidates must meet several conditions:
- Occupation: Your occupation must be on the relevant list of eligible skilled occupations.
- Age: You must be under 45 when you receive an invitation to apply.
- English proficiency: You should have competent English skills.
- Points test: You must score at least 65 points on the points test.
Australia 189 Visa: Skilled Independent Visa (Subclass 189)
The Subclass 189 visa is a fundamental pathway for skilled workers to settle in Australia. With its focus on skilled migration, the visa promotes economic growth, underpins business competitiveness, and fills skill shortages in the labour market.
The Application Process for Subclass 189 Visa
- Expression of Interest (EOI) via SkillSelect: Begin by submitting an EOI. This isn’t a visa application but an indication that you wish to apply for a skilled visa.
- Wait for an Invitation: The Department of Home Affairs invites individuals with the highest scores in their occupation.
- Visa Application: Once invited, you have 60 days to apply online. You’ll need to provide all required documents and pay the visa application fee.
- Health & Character Assessment: Undergo health examinations and character assessments.
- Visa Decision: The Department will inform you whether your visa application is granted or denied.
FAQs about the Australia 189 Visa
How long does the Australia 189 Visa process take?
Processing times vary based on the volume of applications received and the complexity of your case. However, typically it ranges from 7 months to 8 months.
How much does the Australia 189 Visa cost?
The base application charge for this visa is AUD 4,045 for the main applicant.
What is the duration of the Australia 189 Visa?
The Australia 189 Visa is a permanent visa. It allows you to live, work, and study in Australia indefinitely.
Can my family members apply with me?
Yes, you can include your partner and your or your partner’s child or step-child in your application.
Can I apply for Australian citizenship with an Australia 189 Visa?
Yes, if you are eligible, you can apply for Australian citizenship.
How can I apply for the Australia 189 Visa?
You can submit an Expression of Interest (EOI) through SkillSelect online. If your EOI is accepted, you will be invited to apply for the visa.
The Australia 189 Visa, or Skilled Independent Visa (Subclass 189), is a viable route for skilled workers seeking to permanently migrate to Australia. Understanding the application process, requirements, and benefits of this visa can ensure a smoother immigration experience. Remember, successful immigration is about being well-informed and prepared.