The 10 Cheapest Engineering Universities in Canada for International Students in 2023
Canada is home to some of the world’s leading engineering institutions, many of which offer competitive rates for international students. Let’s dive into the 10 most affordable of them for 2023.
Table of Contents
1. Memorial University of Newfoundland
- Location: St. John’s, NL
- Website: Memorial University
- Tuition: Approx. $11,460 (CAD) per year
- Engineering Programs: Civil, Mechanical, Electrical, Computer, Process
2. University of Regina
- Location: Regina, Saskatchewan
- Website: University of Regina
- Tuition: Approx. $14,000 (CAD) per year
- Engineering Programs: Petroleum Systems, Environmental Systems, Industrial Systems
3. University of New Brunswick
- Location: Fredericton & Saint John, New Brunswick
- Website: UNB
- Tuition: Approx. $16,490 (CAD) per year
- Engineering Programs: Chemical, Mechanical, Electrical, Civil
4. Dalhousie University
- Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
- Website: Dalhousie University
- Tuition: Approx. $18,000 (CAD) per year
- Engineering Programs: Mining, Materials, Industrial, Ocean
5. Concordia University
- Location: Montreal, Quebec
- Website: Concordia University
- Tuition: Approx. $20,000 (CAD) per year
- Engineering Programs: Software, Aerospace, Building, Chemical
6. University of Manitoba
- Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
- Website: University of Manitoba
- Tuition: Approx. $20,500 (CAD) per year
- Engineering Programs: Biosystems, Computer, Electrical, Mechanical
7. University of Windsor
- Location: Windsor, Ontario
- Website: University of Windsor
- Tuition: Approx. $21,000 (CAD) per year
- Engineering Programs: Civil, Environmental, Automotive, Industrial
8. Ryerson University
- Location: Toronto, Ontario
- Website: Ryerson University
- Tuition: Approx. $22,000 (CAD) per year
- Engineering Programs: Biomedical, Chemical, Civil, Electrical
9. University of Ottawa
- Location: Ottawa, Ontario
- Website: University of Ottawa
- Tuition: Approx. $23,000 (CAD) per year
- Engineering Programs: Mechanical, Software, Chemical, Civil
10. University of Saskatchewan
- Location: Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
- Website: University of Saskatchewan
- Tuition: Approx. $23,500 (CAD) per year
- Engineering Programs: Agricultural, Biomedical, Chemical, Mechanical
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) on Engineering Universities in Canada for International Students
Is English proficiency mandatory for admission to these engineering universities?
Yes, English proficiency is a standard requirement. Students may need to provide scores from tests like IELTS, TOEFL, or PTE, depending on the university. Some universities in Quebec might require French proficiency.
Can I apply for PGWP after completing my engineering course in Canada?
Yes, international students who complete an engineering program at a recognized Canadian post-secondary institution are eligible to apply for the PGWP.
How long can I stay in Canada with a PGWP after completing my engineering degree?
The length of the PGWP is contingent on the duration of your engineering course. For programs lasting less than eight months, you won’t be eligible. For those between eight months and two years, the PGWP may be the same length as your study program. For programs two years or longer, you might be issued a three-year PGWP.
Engineering is a vast field with a plethora of specializations. Canada provides international students with the opportunity to pursue these diverse engineering disciplines at affordable rates. If you’re an international student aspiring to study engineering in Canada, these universities provide a perfect blend of quality education and cost-effectiveness.